What sets Troop 147 apart? Actually, we believe it is our devotion to Bible-infused outdoor adventure; however, one may argue that a close second is our exclusive High Adventure trip to Taos, New Mexico (early-Summer).
As a troop we’ve completed two treks to date: Summer 2018 and Summer 2019. You can view photo galleries from both treks at the links below:
8-DAY ITINERARY (Yearly in June):
- DAY 1 (Saturday): Depart from Dallas, TX.
- DAY 2 (Sunday): Prep Day in Taos, NM.
- DAY 3-6 (Monday – Thursday): Trailmen drive to the Carson Forest trailhead (Santa Barbara) and hike in a few miles to set up base camp for primitive survival. Trailmen spend 4 days/3 nights in primitive camp, performing day hikes and activities. On DAY 6, the crew hikes back to the trailhead and returns to Taos city Thursday night.
- DAY 7 (Friday): Recoup/Fun Day in Taos, NM seeing the sights and visiting one-of-a-kind attractions (e.g. Taos Pueblo, Earthships, etc)
- DAY 8 (Saturday): Depart from Taos, NM back to Dallas, TX.
Day 2 and 7 are spent in one or two fully furnished homes, both on the same street near each other (electricity, running water, showers, etc.) located in the historic district of Taos, NM. These homes have been graciously provided by one of the Trailmen’s grandparents for our use at no cost. The trip is book-ended with a nice place for the Trailmen to prep or unwind together; however, the boys and adults spend the majority of the adventure properly ‘roughing it’ in Carson National Forest. This is a time for the troop to bond as patrols, and come away with a very memorable and lasting experience they will take with them the rest of their lives. Primitive camping, hiking, fishing, filtering water from the rivers, devotional time in nature…it’s exactly how God intended.
As with all Troop 147 trips, electronics stay home, so we can truly connect with God’s wonderful creation and each other. Exceptions made of course for fathers/guardians and older Trailmen to use cell phones and radios for necessary or emergency contact.